Welcome to the Language Arts Homepage
The Language Arts goals for all students reflect the importance of a ‘thinking’ literacy curriculum that actively engages the minds of students in problem-solving situations that will prepare them for success in the 21st century workplace. The curriculum provides opportunities for teachers to guide, encourage, and challenge students as they progress towards becoming successful, independent learners. The Language Arts curriculum articulates the following goals for all students:
- Help readers understand how letters are linked to sounds to form letter-sound correspondences and help them learn how to apply this knowledge in their reading and writing.
- Foster language and literacy growth in all students as readers, writers, listeners, and speakers.
- Assist students in acquiring strategies such as selecting relevant facts, formulating thought-provoking questions, seeing relationships within and across related areas, and organizing knowledge to meet specific goals.
- Develop students’ comprehension, reasoning, judgment, and decision-making by using a variety of strategies.
- Support students in acquiring the ability to see and understand relationships between reading, writing, vocabulary, and spelling knowledge.
- Deepen students’ appreciation of literature through consistent access to rich literature read to, with, and by students.
- Assist students in acquiring fluency so they may read with adequate speed, accuracy and expression in order enhance comprehension.
K - 3 | 4-5 | 6 - 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | AP Courses | Electives